History Spotlight: Six Weeks of Wynnton (Dinglewood)
Week 2: Dinglewood
Wynnton Road was an important thoroughfare and also served as the early property line dividing Colonel William L. Wynn’s land (south side of Wynnton Road - what would become Overlook) from John V. Woolfolk’s land (north side of Wynnton Road - would would become Wynnton Village and Dinglewood).
The Dinglewood Historic District is a small residential neighborhood comprised of the house Dinglewood, c. 1859; several early 20th-century residences; a privately-owned central circular park; and a city-owned park. The 30-acre estate was subdivided in the early 20th century and fourteen houses were constructed between 1916 and 1951.
Built in 1858-1859 by Colonel Joel Early Hurt, Dinglewood is one of Columbus’ most outstanding homes. Hurt purchased 30 acres from John Woolfolk in 1857 for $5,500. In 1859, Colonel Hurt completed the Italianate house. The architects were Barringer and Morton of Columbus. Samuel J. Hatcher, Colonel Hurt's good friend, sketched details for the house and garden. On either side of the house are two c. 1858 cottages, built for the Italian craftsmen who constructed the home. The Italian Villa was constructed with a private water system and gas works. It is embellished with curved wooden details, incredible moldings, and statuary. The exterior fountain is original, as is the hardware and dining room chandelier inside.
The neighborhood also contains distinctive landscape features including granite pillars carved with "Dinglewood" at each of the three entrances, private curvilinear drives, and a central, circular, landscaped park in front of the Dinglewood house. Miss Frances Hurt Adams, first cousin, purchased Dinglewood and 20 acres in two purchases in 1905. She soon sold half her interest to her good friend Miss Anna G. Hinde. The two women subdivided the property into smaller lots and sold them to be developed for single family homes. The lots were sold between 1916 and 1951. Within the deeds, there were specific covenants for construction and proper maintenance. The northern end of the district slopes steeply downward to a city-owned park. It was sold to the city in 1946 and located within the park is a c. 1930 Boy Scout clubhouse. The Lloyd Bowers family has owned and cared for the Dinglewood house since the 1960s.
The early 20th century house types in the neighborhood include Georgian, Bungalow, and Ranch. Common house styles include Italianate, Colonial Revival, English Vernacular Revival, and Spanish Colonial Revival. The district is unusual in Georgia for being a private enclave of homes built on the grounds of a former antebellum estate.
In 1925, the Village of Wynnton area, including the Dinglewood neighborhood, was incorporated within the City Limits of Columbus. Nancy Telfair notes in A History of Columbus, Georgia 1828 - 1928, that "the people of Wynnton and outlying districts were so impressed with the new government that they were anxious to come into the city, and the vote cast for annexation was almost unanimous."